Sunday, April 18, 2010

SOMETHING TO HOLD...

This is inspired by a specific blogging friend, but goes out to anyone who is feeling relationship challenged. I know that watching fictional television relationships may not be the best answer (because they are always so accurate and right on the money). However, we work with what we have. I also know that the friend I have in mind watched this show once upon a time, but gave it up. I still love it. In fact, I have it on DVD, and every summer when I go into withdrawal, and I watch the entire series AGAIN. I am a sick puppy and I know it. I chose this first clip off of youtube because it actually offered some continuity, and stuck to just one relationship, which made it easier to follow. The second clip picks up with just one scene where first leaves off. Oh yeah, you have to scroll down and turn off my music player and turn up the volume on your computer. Sorry....





Well, then I thought that maybe those clips and/or that show just wasn't going to do it for you. The thing is this: if you are single and you want a relationship, you have to have hope. You need something to hold in your hand or in your head. Unfortunately, I tend go for the star-crossed stuff. I look over my TV shows on DVD and they don't feature a lot of happy endings. So, I decided to look at my movies. I had better luck there. I still think that the best movie ever was based on the book by Nicholas Sparks. Yeah, I am talking about THE NOTEBOOK. Although, all of his books make me cry. THE NOTEBOOK was his first novel and was loosely based on the true story of his wife's parents. I was really glad I read that book at home. I started crying about mid-way through the book and didn't stop until I finished it. I have yet to read one of his books that I didn't set me off on a crying spree. I have cried in public several times because I didn't see it coming and "Wham!" there it was.

I don't know if this is true or not, but I heard the rumor that THE NOTEBOOK set Jessica Simpson's divorce in motion. I don't keep up with the stars and their love lives, but I think she was married to Nick Lachey (sp?). Anyway, if the rumors are remotely true, seeing the movie hit a raw nerve. The thing with most movies is you get all of the anticipation and then the grand proclamation of love. Then the credits roll. In life, it is at that point that the story really begins, which is what makes it all feel so misleading. In THE NOTEBOOK, the story happened a long time ago and they weathered it. The "heroine" wrote their story down when she realized she was getting Alzheimer's and made her husband promise to read it to her, because she was sure it would bring her back to him. So, that is what he does EVERY DAY. And every day she wakes up not knowing him. And that is what separates THE NOTEBOOK from the rest. I hope that I haven't ruined it for you if you haven't seen it. I don't think so. Here's the trailer....





And this is the best fight scene ever....

6 comments:

  1. I love that book...and in the end when they...wait, lol..
    someone may read this.
    let's just say the end sends me into ugly cry...lol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Re Jessica Simpson's divorce. I know sometimes when I read books I feel affected. When reading Irvin Yalom's "When Nietzche Wept" I felt the need to divorce so it's a good think that Dr. Breuer went through the hypnosis scene at the end that made me reconsider. (PS If you haven't read the book hope I haven's spoilt it). Saw the film based on the book and it did not move me at all. Films and TV shows don't really affect me. Probably cause I'm too focused on the directing and special effects to be swept away by it. On-stage theatre though moves me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the visit from FF last week. I thoroughly enjoyed your comment. I can't say that I'm a Grey's fan, but I surely learned to not call my friend when it's on!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You know, I've never watched Grey's Anatomy, but I know a lot of people who do. It looks great. Sappy and emotional, and totally up my alley ;) Same reason I loved the Notebook, although, to be honest, I only saw the movie. I never read the book. I don't always like his stuff because they always end so sadly, but The Notebook felt like it ended in the best possible way, really, given the Alzheimer's. although, ideally, they would have both been healthy, watching their grandchildren play. *sigh

    I guess that's why I write fantasy. ha.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I saw The Notebook and it's Hollywood ending, and Grey's Anatomy's first two seasons are on my shelf.

    Life isn't like that only little snapshots of time. I am happy when I get I day in a hundred to remember.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I know what you mean Bathwater. After posting this I realized that I missed the target... It's hard to post about something that you really don't know anything about.

    ReplyDelete

You can now add YouTube videos in your comments by copy/pasting the link. AND/OR you can insert an image by surrounding the code with this: [im]code[/im]. In the case of images, make sure that your code is short and simple ending with something like .jpg. If you want to use a pic from someplace like Google Images, click on the image, then click on View Image. That is the code you want!

Dazzle Me!