Monday, April 12, 2010

THE KNOCK OUT

Well, I woke up feeling lousy and decided not to blog today. Then I got in the Think Tank and was bombarded with ideas. For my more recent followers, the Think Tank is the shower. Sometimes it yields nothing, but today it blasted me with material. Go figure. Actually, it was all inter-connected in a bizarre twisty-turny sort of way, but I am not going to lead you through the maze that is my brain, because we might all get lost, and then it would feel more like an episode of LOST or THE TWILIGHT ZONE, and that isn't what I had in mind at all.


When I was in junior high school, I think, I read a book about Marilyn Monroe. It might have been high school, but I am pretty sure it was junior high school. It kicked off a fascination that I can't say has actually ended. Marilyn Monroe was a mystery to me. If she had just been a pretty starlet who had died young, I would have been sad, but not intrigued. Instead, she was a complex person who had a rough childhood, a crazy mother, feared going crazy to the point that it was its own neuroses, had this sexy voice that made people assume she was stupid (she wasn't), and she married smart men. She also dallied with smart men with whom she shouldn't have. I didn't know about the dalliances until later in life. The books that I was reading at the time didn't contain that information. This is where I found this photo and you can also find more Marilyn pictures here.


No one said unkind things about Marilyn Monroe. Of course, she was dead, and it looks bad to speak ill of the dead. Joe DiMaggio appeared to have never recovered from their divorce. He also kept his mouth zipped about what went wrong in their marriage. Marilyn didn't talk about it, either. When she died she was married to the playwright, Arthur Miller. Baseball player to playwright. Really good looking man to not good looking man. Obviously there was more to Marilyn Monroe than met the eye. She must have cared about what someone had to say. She didn't marry Arthur Miller because he was eye candy. Arthur Miller is the guy with her here.


It wasn't long after that I became very interested in John F. Kennedy's assassination. Interestingly enough, I was completely unaware of the affair he had going with my first tragic passion, Marilyn. I was so interested that I did my 11th grade research paper on JFK's assassination. I was immersed in that material. I read so many books on the events of that day in Dallas, that I could have written the Warren Report. Without going into too many details, and creating political frenzy, I think the Warren Report is garbage, Lee Harvey Oswald didn't do it, and it was all a big cover-up. I have a very long research paper with my detailed analysis of the events. But, I am not going to get into that here because it isn't the point.

After spending all of that time delving into JFK's assassination, I felt connected to the man, and I think I took his death a little too personally. It hurt me on a level that was a little deeper than I liked, particularly since I wasn't even alive when the events took place. Therefore, when I found out what a scoundrel and a cheater he was, that was a personal blow to me. It shouldn't have been; I wasn't the one doing the cheating. When I found out he was cheating with Marilyn Monroe, it was a knock-out punch.

What I have come to understand... let me qualify that... what I have come to believe is that JFK was a cheater. He would screw anything in a skirt that would let him. He was good-looking and powerful and a lot of women let him. I really feel for Jackie, or felt for Jackie, since this is old news. I don't know if she knew what she was getting when she said, "I do." I suspect she didn't, and then it was too late to say, "You bastard, I don't." All of America was watching and wishing that they could be Jackie. They wore their hair like her and adopted her sense of style. Everyone wanted to be Jackie.


As for Marilyn, she was cheating, too, because she was married, so that technically makes her cheater. Would she cheat with just anyone? No. She cheated with smart men. Marilyn was political. She understood politics and was interested. She slept with both Robert and John. That is icky. To me, that is icky. They didn't seem to have a problem with it. I believe that they underestimated her. They saw the dumb blonde and talked politics with her, thinking that she didn't get it. When they realized that she did, they understood that THEY had breached national security. I don't know which one of them had her killed, but it was probably the president, since he was getting most of the action there at the end. Of course, that is not what what was reported in the news article and you can click here to visit the site where I picked it up. I have no doubt that she died of a drug overdose. I just don't believe that it was self-inflicted. Enough said.


Can I prove anything I have written here? Of course not. If I could, I would have a book deal and be famous and this news would be coming to you from the Oprah Winfrey Show. All I know is how I feel... and that is a little bit sick. One of my followers, and I like to think, friend, recently commented that you shouldn't idolize people, for they will invariably let you down. It is better to idolize bees, if you feel the need to put something on a pedestal. She makes a good point. I never idolized Marilyn, so much as found her complex, and wanted to understand her. However, I thought JFK was a good man. I thought he was a better man than he was. And same goes for his brother. To find out that they are the ones that were most likely responsible for Marilyn's life being cut short, well it was the kick in the gut when I was already down.

I don't regret doing that 11th grade report on JFK's assassination. I believe that Lee Harvey Oswald was an innocent man. It's a relief to know that someone was innocent.

8 comments:

  1. yup, weren't the pills found primarily in her throat and not her stomach...and I think jackie knew after the first year and played political poker and drew teh winning hand...she was ever after the queen of camelot...a legacy of her own creation...Marilyn might have liked smart men, but jackie was the queen of savvy. She is one of my personal idols, not because she married Jack Kennedy..but because she took the lump of sh*t life dealt her and created a heck of a life out of whole cloth. you want to read a fascinating biography, read Jackies. You'll stop feeling sorry for her and start admiring her.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Actually, I already admire Jackie. I just have to wonder if she would have made the same choice if she would have known what she was getting....

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have me intrigued. I might have to do some more reading.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It goes to show that people are people, that there are few things that separate most of us and that really great men and women are seldom recognized.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is all very interesting... I think a lot more happened with their deaths than most of us know, just as you said. :)

    PS did you get my email from a few days ago with the link to the book?

    ReplyDelete
  6. People are so complicated aren't they? I think we all want our heroes, especially as kids. It comes as such a blow to discover they weren't all that we thought they were. But ultimately, I think our heroes are as human as we are. It's sort of like what happens when our kids grow up to discover their parents aren't perfect. It makes me a little sad, actually.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I’m surprised all this shocks you. What I want to know though is this...Do you think that a person who screws people in his personal life can be an honest leader? For some time I thought that Americans/Australians and Anglosaxons at large were a bit prudish when it came to wanting your politicians squeaky clean and making so much fuss about blue dresses and the like, but perhaps you are right. Perhaps a person who is dishonest with his own family will be unscrupulous when it comes to cheating on his country. Look at Berlusconi, look at Sarkozy, look at Greek leaders. I’d love to get your detailed analysis of JFK’s assassination. Who do you think did it?

    As for bees…yeap, they are responsible for 75 percent of the human world supply. Without them we’d be goners! Not that this would necessarily be a bad thing for the world (just a bad thing for humanity).

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love to read books about things like this.

    Would Jackie Kennedy have amde the same choice? I personally believe she would have.

    ReplyDelete

You can now add YouTube videos in your comments by copy/pasting the link. AND/OR you can insert an image by surrounding the code with this: [im]code[/im]. In the case of images, make sure that your code is short and simple ending with something like .jpg. If you want to use a pic from someplace like Google Images, click on the image, then click on View Image. That is the code you want!

Dazzle Me!