Tuesday, June 15, 2010

START ME UP

I think it must be the month of June. In my mind, it is the first month of summer. When I was a kid, school didn't let out until June. Now, kids get out in May, but when I was in school, we usually didn't get released from our parochial prison until June. So, I am thinking that it is June that is at work here.



What am I going on about? I am talking about the desire to kick back and laze around for three months. It was a pattern that you adjusted to for twelve years (and maybe more, depending upon how long you matriculated through the system). There was that initial rush when you breathed in freedom when they threw open the doors on that last day of school, and you knew that the next three months of nothing were yours for the taking. Nothing ran the gamut of playing with your friends, to splashing around in the pool, to family vacations, or weeks at camp. Nothing was fun. Nothing was sleeping in until noon.

It turns out that we long for that lifestyle even after it passes us by. So, June rolls around and subconsciously we long to do nothing once more. For three months. Instead, we write blogs about getting our butts into gear and getting back onto that diet. I read a riveting blog today about writing. It was from someone completely new to me. I was diverted there by another blogger who was also fairly new to me. She cut right to the chase. If you are a writer. You write. Every day. And stop using language that suggest that you are just playing at it. It was strong stuff. Basically, it was a real kick in the pants. I read another blog about a mommy who was going to get her act together and finally get that baby book done, even if she had to lock herself in the basement with every scribbling she could find on her kids' big moments!

I bet you're asking yourself what is going on at my house? Besides not sleeping in the middle of the night. Well, I have made tremendous progress on my novel and have broken through that writer's block on The End. I did suck it up and motored through it. I grappled with the fact that it would require some fairly major editing in the middle, but so it goes. This is the first novel I am actually going to complete start to finish. The fact that I made some mistakes... Well, big shock. The fact that it will need to be edited? Not surprising. Once I came to grips with that, mentally it got much easier. I settled into it and it began to flow again. So, I am back to it.

On other fronts.... I met with an attorney and I do qualify for a chapter 7 bankruptcy. Not exactly how I pictured my life going, but I need to reduce my bills for my dad, and that will be a huge help. The irony is that it comes to about $700/mo, but it is just more than he can afford on social security. My credit report was pulled to see if there were any "surprises." Nope. But I do have a credit score of 932. Can you imagine? I am filing for bankruptcy with a credit score of 932. Isn't that hilarious????? Life is full of irony.

One last thing.... the website that takes SSD cases is finally taking mine. They have a 98% success rate. They do it all. You don't have to fill out any forms. Nada. They handle all of the info with you by phone and fill out a lot of the paperwork by pulling your doctor records. They also file all of your claims. You just have to sign them. You also don't pay them unless they win your case. The thing is that most people don't win until the final claim, which requires hiring an attorney. It is the same pay percentage that these folks charge, and they are doing all of the work. It is a blessing. The biggest thing will just be getting the Medicaid, to get the health insurance, to get all of the doctor visits paid for, and all of the testing I need, etc. Anyway, I don't want to be on it forever. I just want it long enough to get better. So cross fingers, toes, send up prayers, and all the rest.


It might not look like much is going on here, but things are moving along. What is it like at your house? Do you need a kick in the tush or are you a busy bee already?

3 comments:

  1. I know it might not be much of a comfort...but it seems as if declaring bankruptcy will help ease some of the burden. Hugs to you and I know how strong you are which is why I know you'll come out of this okay. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW! Congrats on pushing through to THE END! Tremendous discipline ... I am so impressed.

    Robin, I've left you an award on my blog today. I know, I know ... you keep getting them but this is the first one I've given you and I've been wanting to give you for a while. I really love your blog ... such a great mixture of deep thinking and excellent writing and playful teasing ... you definitely deserve the "sunshine" award for brightening up blogland. So do with it as you wish ... even if it's just receive it and accept my thanks along with it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. YES! EVERY SINGLE WORD of your comment on my blog this morning makes perfect sense to me! Thank you!
    Have a pretty day!
    Kristin

    ReplyDelete

You can now add YouTube videos in your comments by copy/pasting the link. AND/OR you can insert an image by surrounding the code with this: [im]code[/im]. In the case of images, make sure that your code is short and simple ending with something like .jpg. If you want to use a pic from someplace like Google Images, click on the image, then click on View Image. That is the code you want!

Dazzle Me!