Thursday, September 15, 2016

Stick It In Your Ear

Oh blog friends...

You know things are just not good in my world when there is nothing here on the 15th. Today is Battle of the Bands and I just cannot do it.

Remember in my last post the explanation about the hurricane, migraines, and the barometer? Well, that is all true, but it turns out that it wasn't the problem. Or the biggest part of the problem. I didn't go into the fact that I was also experiencing occasional dizziness (and I don't mean absentmindedness). It happens sometimes, and I know it's because of my vestibular function loss. If I just lost you, I shall take a moment to explain.

I only have 30% vestibular function in each ear. The doctors don't know how I lost it, but are all pretty certain it's not coming back, and I could lose more (depending on how I lost it in the first place... which remains unclear). It has nothing to do with my hearing. I hear just fine. It has everything to do with finding myself in space. Orientation. Hence the dizziness. When I was first diagnosed I was super dizzy (holding onto walls dizzy, the room was spinning all the time dizzy, a really bad drunk dizzy). After a year of rehab (yep, there's rehab for this), the body learns to compensate for the loss. The rehab mostly consisted of making myself more dizzy in a controlled environment on purpose to make my body learn to deal with it (super fun!). Anyway, pre-hurricane I was experiencing the dizzy again in waves. But, that happens on occasion... especially when the migraines are bad. I guess because it's harder to compensate??? Anyway, I didn't put the puzzle pieces together correctly.

What was actually causing the dizzy, you ask? An inner ear infection. I'd never had one before, so I didn't know the signs. On Monday night (in the middle of the night) my left ear popped, rather painfully, waking me up. I lived in denial about it all day Tuesday hoping it would just miraculously get better. By Wednesday morning, reality set in. I won't relay the horror story of the doctor appointment, but I'm now on antibiotics.

Here's the thing, though... I take my last pill on Saturday morning. That would be ten days worth. I've had plenty of sinus infections, strep throat, bronchitis, and even pneumonia (though I shouldn't count that because ten days of antibiotics didn't knock it out, either). So, with everything but the pneumonia, I was feeling ever so much better around day four. Usually by today (day eight) I'm struggling to remember to take the darn things. I'm still hyper aware of my left ear (and sometimes my right), still struggling with very frequent dizziness, and my spidey sense says that infection is NOT gone. So, I called the doctor's office and was told to come in first thing Monday morning if I still felt that way (which I feel fairly confident I will given the current course).

I tell you all of that to explain why my computer presence has sucked so hard for so long. I'm freakin' dizzy. Scrolling on the computer knocks me down. Writing this post is turning my stomach. I hope that this situation turns around so that I can visit your blogs and vote on your battles. If you would, pray for me. I do believe I need it.

21 comments:

  1. Oh, you poor soul. Do feel better soon. Thoughts and prayers are with you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A prayer has been sent from me. So sorry to hear about your situation and I'm hoping the improvement will come with great rapidity. I've had dizziness related to ear infections--went to the emergency room because I'd never experienced anything like it before and it was very disconcerting to me.

    We want you back! Take care, Robin, and hopefully many prayers and positive thoughts will come your way to speed your return.

    Arlee Bird
    Tossing It Out

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry about the ear infection. I've had one of those and yes, it causes dizziness. Big time. Will pray that your dizziness goes away soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh sweetheart, that really sucks! Praying for you, as always.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my gosh! That does sound awful. Hope Monday brings you relief either on its own or with new meds!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Of course, without question, prayers are sent to you and I hope this does not get worse before you see the Dr. Can you go to a walk in clinic? Or maybe the hospital? I have had inner ear infections and felt a bit dizzy but nothing close to what you are experiencing so rest and don't worry about not being able to blog or respond until you feel all better

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hoping you feel better soon, sending healing thoughts your way. Health is more important right now than anything else. Take care of yourself and do whatever it takes to beat this infection.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh Robin! I so feel your pain! About two years ago, the day before I was scheduled to have my hysterectomy to remove the uterine cancer, I started having dizzy spells. I get then while lying down, or simply turning or tilting my head. The good doc made a note of it and said I'd be fine. I'm told that after surgery I wasn't fine. That I was violently ill while anesthesia was wearing off. But the good doc gave me a prescription of Meclizine that I take daily. I was telling my primary care doc about this episodes, because I continued to have them on a daily basis and was having trouble getting anything accomplished. She continues to renew my rx for me. Thankfully, I don't have daily occurrences anymore (but I do still have brief moments every few days) and have to be very careful about quick movements. Thank goodness my body is built for comfort and not for speed! I hope you are feeling better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Quit whining and post a BOTB!!!

    ~ Ultra-Deplorable D-FensDogG
    'Loyal American Underground'

    POSTSCRIPT:
    I'll call tomorrow. Be ready to start meditating on Saturday, Girl Wonder.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hope you start feeling better. What antibiotic did the doctor give you? Cipro is excellent; see if he can give you that.

    Mary has had vertigo, and they prescribed Antivert for it. It might help with the vestibular issues. Cats get it, too; one of mine has it...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Robin, I am so sorry that you are going through all that! I've heard inner ear infections can be really nasty.
    Being dizzy sucks. When I get dizzy I also get nauseated so that's no fun.
    Sending you healing white light and keeping positive thoughts for you. Feel better, my friend...

    Michele at Angels Bark

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh man. You're a mess. I'm so so SO sorry. There's nothing worse when you're so physically ill you can't even function. Sending lots of love. <3

    ReplyDelete
  13. Do you have to wait until Monday? There is no back up coverage until Monday? Having lived with a daughter who was prone to ear infections, golly, gosh, I would so much rather you not wait...you need a extra dose. Now! Or Monday if it can't happen sooner...but I wish it could be sooner...wishing you fast healing!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have been getting dizziness for a few weeks and the doctor said something about crystals in my ears-I remembered just enough of what he said to feel like I had a Star Trek alien in my ear.

    Mine is an annoyance, not a hindrance, but I can only imagine what it would have been like if it were worse.

    Hope Monday brings some relief.

    Larry

    ReplyDelete
  15. Physical illness can so easily pull our emotions down. I'll be praying that discouragement won't take hold, and that you'll be on your feet (literally and figuratively) in no time.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Well I hope to catch you next time

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh no, I'm sorry to hear it. Ear infections are just no fun at all. :( I hope you're back to feeling better so soon!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hope you get better soon Robin <3

    ReplyDelete
  19. I hope you're feeling better by now. Sending you healing vibes.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I hope you're feeling better!! Many prayers. I'll be watching for an update.

    ReplyDelete

You can now add YouTube videos in your comments by copy/pasting the link. AND/OR you can insert an image by surrounding the code with this: [im]code[/im]. In the case of images, make sure that your code is short and simple ending with something like .jpg. If you want to use a pic from someplace like Google Images, click on the image, then click on View Image. That is the code you want!

Dazzle Me!