Friday, January 22, 2010

IT'S CLASSIC


Since moving back to Georgia, I have made a practice of having Corey and Haley spend the night once a month for some one-on-one time. Corey spent the night on New Year's Eve and we had a really good time. He found a box of my books in the guest room and on top was Robert Fulghum's ALL I REALLY NEEDED TO KNOW I LEARNED IN KINDERGARTEN. His curiousity was piqued so I read him a story and he loved it. My heart soared with joy. I had worked for years to give him and his sister the best parts of my childhood and many a time they didn't think much of it. This time I didn't even try and I reaped success.

I still remember vividly the books and movies that changed the way that I saw the world and I wonder if it will be the same for Corey and Haley? Will S.E. Hinton's THE OUTSIDERS change the way that they see their fellow students? Will SOME KIND OF WONDERFUL, PRETTY IN PINK, or SAY ANYTHING speak to them in any way about teenage relationships? Will THE BREAKFAST CLUB completely rock their world so that they will never see anything or anyone the same way again? Will they read Richard Bach's ILLUSIONS front to back repeatedly and get more from it each time? If they listen to LOVE SONG by The Cure will it be hauntingly beautiful or just old rock music? Some things are classic because they speak to the soul of every man and some things are just old. I think Corey found a classic on New Year's Eve and I consider all of the above to be classics, too, and if/when Corey or his sister tell me that they're old, dated, and/or boring it will surely break my heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment

You can now add YouTube videos in your comments by copy/pasting the link. AND/OR you can insert an image by surrounding the code with this: [im]code[/im]. In the case of images, make sure that your code is short and simple ending with something like .jpg. If you want to use a pic from someplace like Google Images, click on the image, then click on View Image. That is the code you want!

Dazzle Me!