Wednesday, September 3, 2014

IWSG ~ So Insecure



I went to bed thinking about my as yet unwritten IWSG post and woke up thinking about it.

Have you ever had something you were insecure about, but you were SO INSECURE about it that you really didn't want to think about it or write about it????

What am I talking about??? In this case, I am blathering about Critique Partners. I really need them. I asked for anyone who was interested to send me an email. That netted one email. Thanks Genissa! But, I really need a couple more and I find myself terrified to just step out here and ask... again. Not because you will read my "baby" and find flaws. I know that there are flaws, which is why I need you!

I am insecure because I don't think you will even WANT to read it. In fact, I have already come up with plenty of reasons why you won't want to do it (so I really shouldn't ask). I could list those reasons, but I am trying to keep this short(er).

My novel is written as the first in a series. It is a Paranormal Mystery with a dash of Romance on the side. In this case, "Paranormal" means my MC receives a vision every time she touches something with an emotional fingerprint.

Now, if you only read Science Fiction or Horror or something like that, here is is your Permission Slip. You have just been let off the hook. My book has NONE of that. If you think Paranormal requires vampires, werewolves, witches and all that stuff... another Permission Slip. I have none. If you are still thinking, "This could be me," well OKAY! If you need a CP, send me an email and we can talk about it. I do think the arrangement can, and should, be mutually beneficial. My email is rarichards68 at gmail dot com:)

Much thanks to Alex J. Cavanaugh who started this group. If you want to read/support more insecure writers, click HERE for a full list of everyone participating. If you think you'd like to join the group, we'd love to have you!

16 comments:

  1. I'm afraid I can't take on beta reading a manuscript right now, but I know where you can find a whole bunch of CPs and betas! If I recall correctly, you don't do Facebook. But if you created an account just for your writing persona, there are numerous writing groups you could join -- some of them set up for the express purpose of finding critique partners and probably some set up for your genre, even. If you decide to do the FB plunge (just for writing), let me know and I'll help you find the groups.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Robin, if this was next month I would take you up on this in a heartbeat. But with preparing an entire wedding ceremony, working on the blog book, working on our new novel, and just plain working, this entire month I'm absolutely swamped. If you still need another CP this same time next month, I'll be around, though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I guess I have a permission slip, but I already have three critique partners I need to read for anyway.
    Hope you find some good ones! If you're lucky, you'll get snarky ones like mine. Then you chuckle through the revisions.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I only ever say no because I don't have time- and I think that's fair to say of most writers. If you'd asked me last week, I'd had to say no. But since you ask this week, I could take a look at it. I'm slow, but honest. Feel free to send it to me at eseckman(at)ymail(dot)com.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Check your email, Robin. We can discuss.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The last time you asked I was hip deep in reading six books for reviews, but I'll send you an email so we can talk. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I guess you have enough hands up now. I am glad for that. I once struggled a lot to get a critique partner. I know how it feels to find none, or too few. I have stopped volunteering because I feel I have no right to critique things on a language that is not my mother language. The best of lucks to you and thank you very much for the gift. I am still going through it. I will write you shortly. Dragon Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm glad you're putting yourself out there - no need for insecurities, but I know it's hard to ask for help. What I'd like to offer is more down the lines of what I'm best at in terms of critiquing. I do best with finding typos, grammatically glitches, and places that just don't flow right. So, it's more of a later stage. Please do consider me when you're feeling fairly close to a finished product - if that helps, and I hope it does.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Haha, I wrote "grammatically glitches." How telling is that? How much have I sold myself as a critique partner you can count on? Smiles.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Just wishing you luck in finding what you want/need.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hope you find some. I'm currently writing paranormal, but I'm not much for mystery.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sounds like you've already found some wonderful partners, Robin! If you still need more help let me know. I'm a very slow reader, and after a while my eyes start playing tricks on me. Your premise sounds very intriguing, and I can't wait to hear more about it!

    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you for the kindness (everyone). Thank you for the emails (more than I anticipated, but really you can't have too many excellent eyes on your work!!!), and if I didn't reply it means I didn't receive your email. So, double-check the address, which is also in my sidebar! Thanks all!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Of course I have faith in you, I know you'll do fine, and I'm sure people are going to like your writing. It doesn't seem to be uncommon that writers go through this phase (from my experience visiting them in blogland). I think it just makes you legit. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am already reading for someone. If I wasn't already committed I would read for you. :)

    ReplyDelete

You can now add YouTube videos in your comments by copy/pasting the link. AND/OR you can insert an image by surrounding the code with this: [im]code[/im]. In the case of images, make sure that your code is short and simple ending with something like .jpg. If you want to use a pic from someplace like Google Images, click on the image, then click on View Image. That is the code you want!

Dazzle Me!