Sunday, January 1, 2017

BoTB ~ Put A Little Love In Your Heart

 One would think that I'd have been more on top of this Battle of the Bands. But Nooooo.

Before I get down to the meat of this post (read: Battle), I just want to thank you for the kind comments on my last post. I realize that I sound like a person very much stuck in the past. In reality, I'm better (as in much better) than I was. I used to be sad about Jack's suicide all the time. Now, just sometimes. Days like his birthday and the anniversary of his death are particularly tough. Most of the time, I feel confident that he is in a much better place. I think God understands things that we don't. In any event, just wanted you to know I wasn't a basket case (well no more so than you already thought I was). And since I started taking the iodine, even LESS a basket case and more an energized, migraine-free person (again, most of the time). If this is news to you, go back a few posts to The Fight for My Life. Things are looking up in the land of Robin (still!).



After all that I was going (stress was) going to choose a song for this battle that I had in mind for my Soundtrack of My Life Series (am I still doing that???), but I decided against because 1) that is chronological and we aren't there, and 2) It's a Jack Song, and I fear that it would make you change your mind about my "basket case state." Instead, I decided to go with something upbeat and positive, which is a true reflection about how I feel regarding 2017. I'm excited. I think this is going to be an amazing year!!!


The song is Put A Little Love In Your Heart. The song was originally performed by Jackie DeShannon in 1969. I'm not going to use that version. Instead, I'm going with two covers. Drum roll please.

Al Green and Annie Lennox recorded the song in 1988 for the film Scrooged. It was a hit for them. They are battling it out with the legendary Dolly Parton.  I went to Wikipedia for information on the covers only to find out that Wikipedia doesn't know everything. Point of fact, they have no mention of Dolly's take on this song. Sigh. Of course, that doesn't really matter since this is all about who does it better (rather than being a learning experience for you). So, sit back and let your ears determine who puts more love in your heart! Vote in the comments. I'll tabulate in approximately a week. Then we find out who wins this epic love battle!

Al Green and Annie Lennox...



Dolly Parton...



Please vote for the version of this song you prefer. If you want to get into the Ins and Outs of why you like one better than the other... I LOVE long comments!

For more Battle of the Bands fun, check out the other BOTB bloggers to vote on their battles. I've stopped trying to keep up with who is running a battle and who isn't. To see who is participating, go here: Stephen T. McCarthy's Battle of the Bands Blog.

15 comments:

  1. Happy New Year, Robin! This was an easy battle for me. I had a difficult time deciphering who was singing what part in the Al Green / Annie Lennox version, but when I listened to Dolly Parton, it was just so much more pleasant to the ears. My vote goes to Ms Parton.

    ~Mary
    Jingle Jangle Jungle

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like all of the artists represented in these covers, but the duo just didn't do it for me. There was something weirdly 80's cartoon-like sounding to Green and Lennox, both artists who I normally like a lot.

    I don't think I've heard anything by Dolly that I didn't like and this is no exception.

    I give my vote to Dolly Parton.

    Hope we all see great things in the year ahead!

    Arlee Bird
    Tossing It Out

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dolly is a legend in my neck o' the woods and I'm beginning to think it is warranted. I'd never heard her version of this song and I really like it. Good call!

    BUT...hold your horses, girlfriend. THE REV. AL and ANNIE LENNOX steal this one from dear Dolly. That particular pairing was inspired; I've loved this song since day one. Both voices are strong and solid, and who can't applaud the message, right?

    AL AND ANNIE FOR ME!

    Happy New Year, dear Robin! We've got a clean slate and we can write anything we chose on it. {{{Hugs to you}}}

    ReplyDelete
  4. All we can do is to give it (life) our best. If that means partly living in the past, so be it. I may be biased.

    Happy New Year, Robin.

    Blue

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm with Mary and Lee on this. I woulda thought the Rev and Annie might have made a better showing, but like Mary, my ears were not happy with the result. Oh, well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Things that are overrated:
    Ernest Hemingway.
    Hummus.
    The "Natural Butter Type Flavor" in Frank's RedHot Buffalo Dipping Sauce.
    Annie Lennox.

    GIRL WONDER, I won't lie... two minutes and twenty-seven seconds was all the love in Al 'n' Annie's hearts that I could stand. (At times I thought maybe someone had gotten it wrong and it was really Cyndi Lauper I was listening to.)

    I'll take DOLLY. I don't know what I'm gonna do with her, but I'll take her. She might make a good floating device should I ever find myself in a storm-tossed sea and need to abandon ship.

    Happy 2017 to ya, Robin. I feel good about this year, too (which is probably a very bad omen).

    ~ D-FensDogG
    'Loyal American Underground'

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello Robin
    It was a difficult choice because I wouldn't listen to either one but if you tied me to a chair and made me pick one, I'd say the Annie one.

    I hope your new year is off to a vibrant start.
    Love to you
    Belva

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy New Year Robin! Hmm, well normally I love Al Green but not in this instance. My vote goes to Dolly. All the best to you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dolly does a great job on this but as Scrooged is my favourite Christmas movie of all time my vote has to go to Al and Annie. Great song choice.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Robin, it's hard to leave the past where it belongs but sometimes you just gotta move on so happiness and love can take over again. I hope 2017 is a good year for you. I'm a bit under the weather this morning, nasty headache, so my ear seems best in tune with Dolly's cover than the Annie & Al. Please give my vote to Dolly Parton. May God's blessings follow you throughout the new year, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am very familiar with the Al and Annie version of that song so i thought my vote would be for them. I have never heard the Dolly version until now. I have to say- she does it right! My vote goes to her.
    So glad you're feeling better ( mostly). Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Robin.
    I actually liked both versions and went back and forth for a few minutes but in the end I'm choosing Dolly Parton. I have loved her ever since I saw her in concert at the Austin Aqua Fest many years ago. She does an amazing show. I like her singing this song too.

    Happy New Year! 2017 has to be a good year! It can't get much worse, could it? Well, yeah, I guess it could. But let's hope for a stellar one! Glad you're feeling better.

    Michele at Angels Bark

    ReplyDelete
  13. Happy New Year, Robin. I missed your last post and went back to read it. Yikes! How difficult to lose someone that way. I'm so sorry. :( On the other had, it's great that the iodine is helping you to feel better. I haven't noticed any changes yet, but didn't really get started until last week.

    The Jackie DeShannon version of this song is hard to overcome. Didn't care much for Al and Annie's recording, so please give my vote to Dolly Parton.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Happy 2017! I'm very happy to hear that you're an energized, migraine-free not-basket-case.

    I'm with many of the others here, and I have to say that Lee's description of Al Green and Annie Lennox's version being a bit cartoonish is spot on. I wasn't a big fan. But Dolly's version is just spectacular. Give my vote to her.

    ReplyDelete
  15. The background music on the Annie Lenox/Reverend Al Green entry was annoying and I felt like they were shouting over it. Give my vote to Dolly Parton.

    ReplyDelete

You can now add YouTube videos in your comments by copy/pasting the link. AND/OR you can insert an image by surrounding the code with this: [im]code[/im]. In the case of images, make sure that your code is short and simple ending with something like .jpg. If you want to use a pic from someplace like Google Images, click on the image, then click on View Image. That is the code you want!

Dazzle Me!