Saturday, October 15, 2016

Battle of the Bands ~ Settin' The Woods On Fire

Hey guys and gals! Can you tell that the last couple of weeks have not been easy ones for me??? I kept up with your voting via my phone, but just never felt well enough to sit at my computer long enough to put together a post. I even voted on all of your battles (that I made it to) from my phone. I think the hurricane coming through played a part in my migraine issues (barometric pressure and all that), but we were very blessed in terms of damage. I will try to make a point of blogging about THAT at some point in the future.

Anyway, things have been tough here and I strongly considered just sitting this battle out. I mean... I didn't even post the results from my last battle because I felt so crappy (which is really bad)... so here they are: It was very close. Shenandoah and Alison Krauss were neck and neck the entire time with Alison narrowly beating out Shenandoah 8-6 (not counting my vote). I love both versions of this song. I fell in love with this song when Shenandoah first recorded it, but fell in love again when I discovered it on Alison's album. I prefer Alison's stripped down version (and she gets my vote), but both of these versions are winners for me.



The song for today's battle is Settin' The Woods on Fire. It was originally recorded by Hank Williams. I'm not going to use his version of the song. It's actually been covered by quite a few artists since he recorded it in the 50s. One of those covers is his son, Hank Williams Jr with Lois Johnson. I thought that would be fun to use since his daddy made the song famous. Another is by The Tractors. And that is the battle for today. This is just a fun little song that I hope you kick back your heels and enjoy.






Please vote for the version of this song you prefer. If you want to get into the Ins and Outs of why you like one better than the other... I LOVE long comments!

For more Battle of the Bands fun, check out the other BOTB bloggers to vote on their battles:

21 comments:

  1. Sorry you've felt so crappy. I think the pressure from the hurricane messed with a lot of people. Glad you didn't receive heavy damage. We didn't either, but it put a lot of our state underwater.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Crap, forgot to vote. First one. It's better with the addition of a woman's voice.

      Delete
  2. Robin, first and foremost, I'm sending a heartfelt "get well, girl" backed up with prayers. You've had a rough month, obviously. I'm hoping the future months look much, much better. {{{HUGS}}}

    As for both of these tunes, they are close...really close. My vote gets tossed on The Tractors for an added dose of energy I think they possess.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, yee-haw! Sounds like your life is picking up a bit. I hope so. Miss your regular posts.

    Either way you go on this one it's country through and through. In the end though I'm going to have to go with the more updated sound of The Tractors. It just sounded better to me.

    Arlee Bird
    Tossing It Out

    ReplyDelete
  4. GIRL WONDER ~
    I guess you found it inconceivable that I'd never even heard of this song before, eh? When you sent me that first text, I thought you were talking in code, maybe alluding to something. I thought maybe you were inviting me to your place for dinner and breakfast. Ha!

    It's new to me but I like this song and both covers here are really good. I'm fond of that nice piano playing in The Tractors' version, but I agree with Alex that the song works especially well as a male / female duet. The lyrics really suggest this sort of arrangement.

    Also, I really dig Hank Junior's voice to begin with, and then when you add in how he pronounces "fire" like "fahr", he steals the victory in what is actually a really close Battle for me.

    ~ D-FensDogG
    'Loyal American Underground'

    ReplyDelete
  5. I vote for The Tractors because they're not Hank Williams, Jr.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I couldn't agree more. Janie, you stole my thunder, just the way I like it.

      I'm sorry to hear life's been rough, Robin.

      Delete
  6. Sorry to hear you are still not feeling very well. This weather sure has been something. We here in the Pacific Northwest are dealing with leftovers from a typhoon. We rarely lose power here, but have lost power three times just today!

    I always thought Hank Jr was a lot of fun to listen to. Give my vote to him, please.

    ~Mary

    ReplyDelete
  7. So sorry you've been unwell, Robin, but I'm glad the weather didn't do any damage in your area. This is a fun, toe-tappin' kind of song. ☺ The Tractors had a "fuller" sound, if that makes any sense and I preferred their version.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's been rough for you for sure. I hope you will soon get some relief. I am not into country but I will go with Hank jnr. He seemed to be having fun singing this ditty so he gets my vote

    ReplyDelete
  9. I hope you get to feeling better soon Robin!
    I like Hank Williams Jr's version best. What a fun song!
    Thanks, I needed this today...

    Michele at Angels Bark

    ReplyDelete
  10. Praying for full recovery !!
    Vote goes to Bocephus ( hank jr)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I hope you feel better soon. Sending some hugs and prayers.

    I'll go with Hank...when in doubt, stick with the original.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Glad to hear you survived Matthew! Feeling ill is really the pits! Prayers your way, Robin.

    Huge Tractor fan here... they get my vote.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Here I come with my late votes, part one: I first of all want to add my prayers to the list, which goes without saying. Also without saying, I love Bocephus. While the Tractors would be fine for a dance, I'd rather listen to Hank.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I hope you are feeling better. I forgive you for not posting the results, since you posted them here.
    You are right, this was a fun song. It's always good to do a fun song when we are not feeling well, I really liked Stephen's battle this time around too.
    As for my vote, please place my vote for Williams Jr and Lois.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I liked Hank and Lois's version best. To me, that's country music. The Tractors' version was okay, but I liked hearing a male and a female voice on this'n, so Hank and Lois are my choice.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hank and Lois get my vote, the female vocal added a bunch to it.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hey Robin, The Tractors swayed me to go with them. I just liked the male vocals over the male/female duet better. :) I'm sorry for the late visit. Have a good weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I can't believe I almost missed this! Sorry, sorry, I've been sick as a dog. Hank and Lois's version was absolutely enchanting. The Tractors' version... well, I made it about 30 seconds through that one. Give me Hank and Lois!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Sorry you've been under the weather because of the...er, weather. Hope you're feeling better soon.

    ReplyDelete

You can now add YouTube videos in your comments by copy/pasting the link. AND/OR you can insert an image by surrounding the code with this: [im]code[/im]. In the case of images, make sure that your code is short and simple ending with something like .jpg. If you want to use a pic from someplace like Google Images, click on the image, then click on View Image. That is the code you want!

Dazzle Me!