Saturday, October 2, 2010

SIMPLY ADDICTED TO NO LOVE


I decided to go all quirky with the title of this blog. That is more me anyway. It is the same theory that how you title your novel will impact the sale of the book. If the title sucks, no one will ever pick it up off the shelf. As a reader, I have to agree that there is a point to that one. It is still Inspirational Song Saturday, but it is Jeopardy style. I am taking portions of the words from all of the songs and combining them together. Sometimes it will work out cool, like today, and other days it will probably come out sounding like a freak show. Oddly enough, I can live with that. Don't forget to turn off my music player at the bottom of the screen.

As you know, if you have read the Saturday blog, it is usually mostly about the 80s stuff and MTV. I am going to pull a switcheroo on you today. Today, it is mostly about my Inspirational song. So, we are going to knock out the 80s stuff first. We are looking today at Robert Palmer. Again, I could look this crap up, but I won't, because I am mean like that (or maybe just lazy, whatever), but mostly it just freaking isn't important. I don't remember which one of his songs came out first on video. I think that it might have been Addicted To Love. Again, don't quote me. Whichever song it was, people freaked over it, because of the concept. It was Robert Palmer in a suit (minus the jacket) with a female band that all looked pretty much the same. Pale. Dark hair pulled back. Red lipstick. Short black dresses. And they were all HOT. People loved it so much that Palmer kept the concept, more or less, for every video he made. I think he decided that if something isn't broken, you don't fix it. And people ate it up like candy. So, whenever anyone thinks of Robert Palmer, they also think of this:




And this:




I am not sure where to begin with my Inspirational Song to Me. I heard it for the first time on MySpace. I didn't like it. I think it was because the words were coming too fast for my brain to keep up. So, I didn't get a clear picture of what the song was trying to convey. It left a bad first impression because my picture was distorted. I think that we have all been on the giving or receiving end of a bad first impression. The reason is always the same: the picture is cloudy, or there is miscommunication, an incorrect interpretation, etc. It happens. If you are lucky, you get to see it again from another angle or viewpoint.

Without further ado, here is the latest release off of Recovery:



Before I start talking about the song itself, I am going to post the lyrics. Marshall Mathers raps so fast that it is easier to catch what he is saying when you can see him, but he is still FAST.

Verse 1 - Lil Wayne
Throw dirt on me and grow a wildflower
But it's "fuck the world", get a child out her
Yeah, my life a bitch, but you know nothing bout her
Been to hell and back, I can show you vouchers
I'm rolling Sweets, I'm smoking sour
Married to the game but she broke her vows
That's why my bars are full of broken bottles
And my night stands are full of open Bibles
I think about more than I forget
But I don't go around fire expecting not to sweat
And these niggas know I lay them down, make their bed
Bitches try to kick me while I'm down: I'll break your leg
Money outweighing problems on the triple beam
I'm sticking to the script, you niggas skipping scenes
Be good or be good at it
Fucking right I've got my gun, semi-Cartermatic
Yeah, put a dick in their mouth, so I guess it's "fuck what they say"
I'm high as a bitch: up, up and away
Man, I come down in a couple of days
OK, you want me up in the cage, then I'll come out in beast mode
I got this world stuck in the safe, combination is the G-code
It's Weezy motherfucker, Blood gang and I'm in bleed mode
All about my dough but I don't even check the peephole
So you can keep knocking but won't knock me down
No love lost, no love found

[Hook - Eminem & Lil Wayne]
It's a little too late to say that you're sorry now
You kicked me when I was down
Fuck what you say, just (don't hurt me, don't hurt me no more)
That's right bitch: and I don't need you, don't want to see you
Bitch you get (no love)
You show me nothing but hate
You ran me into the ground
But what comes around goes around
I don't need you (don't hurt me)
You (don't hurt me no more)
That's right, and I don't need you, don't want to see you
You get (no love)
Bitch you get (no love)
And I don't need you
Get em

[Verse 2 - Eminem]
I'm alive again
More alive than I have been in my whole entire life
I can see these people's ears perk up as I begin
To spaz with the pen, I'm a little bit sicker than most
Shit's finna get thick again
They say the competition is stiff
But I get a hard dick from this shit, now stick it in
I ain't never giving in again
Caution to the wind, complete freedom
Look at these rappers, how I treat them
So why the fuck would I join them when I beat them
They call me a freak because
I like to spit on these pussies fore I eat them
Man get these whack cocksuckers off stage
Where the fuck is Kanye when you need him?
Snatch the mic from him, bitch I'mma let you finish in a minute
Yeah the rap is tight
But I'm 'bout to spit the greatest verse of all time
So you might want to go back to the lab tonight and um
Scribble out them rhymes you were going to spit
And start over from scratch and write new ones
But I'm afraid that it ain't gonna make no difference
When I rip this stage and tear it in half tonight
It's an adrenaline rush to feel the bass thump
In the place all the way to the parking lot, fellow
Set fire to the mic and ignite the crowd
You can see the sparks from hot metal
Cold-hearted from the day I Bogarted the game
I so started to rock fellow
When I'm not even in my harshest
You can still get roasted because Marsh is not mellow
Til I'm toppling from the top I'm not going to stop
I'm standing on my Monopoly board
That means I'm on top of my game and it don't stop
Til my hip don't hop anymore
When you so good that you can't say it
Because it ain't even cool for you to sound cocky anymore
People just get sick cause you spit
These fools can't drool or dribble a drop anymore
And you can never break my stride
You never slow the momentum at any moment I'm about to blow
You'll never take my pride
Killing the flow, slow venom and the opponent
Is getting no mercy, mark my words
Ain't letting up, relentless
I smell blood, I don't give a fuck: keep giving them hell
Where was you when I fell and needed help up?
You get no love


Watching the video was extremely enlightening for me. As usual, I had to watch it three or four times back to back. This is a layered song. Aren't those the best kind? It is addressing the pain of childhood and the pain of fame. They appear to be very much alike. Interestingly enough, all of the "nasty" words don't necessarily address who you think they are addressing. Bitch, in this case, doesn't appear to be addressing women at all. Niggas doesn't appear to be addressing black people in particular. Could be, could not be. All of the derogatory words are flying at anyone who did the kicking when these guys were on the floor and needed help. When they were kids and when they were adults. If that was you.... well, then you get no love.

Here comes my favorite part. Let's pick apart some of the best writing in this song. I am truly coming to appreciate Marshall Mathers for the wordsmith that he is. He kicks ass. Damn. I am trying to quit the cursing thing. And I just did it twice. Cursing when I am quoting others doesn't count, but my own cursing does. Egads. Anyway, as an English major I appreciate a fine turn of phrase. A well constructed sentence really lights me up. Every now and again I write one and it gives me enormous pleasure. Occasionally I feel proud of an entire paragraph. When I was on fire with my novel, I wrote some really impressive material. Note to self: write the bridge stuff to finish first draft of novel. Ugghh. I went to college and did a hard tour through class after class. Marshall Mathers didn't go to college and did a torturous tour through life. He writes better than I do. I keep reminding myself that God hands out the gifts as they are meant to be given. As an aside, my life isn't a freakin' bed of roses. Moving on...

I am always impressed with how well he rhymes. Sometimes it is a perfect rhyme. Other times it is a close enough rhyme. What is that? It sounds enough like the previous end of the phrase due to the vowel choice that it works. He starts if off with perfect rhymes: wildflower, her, her, vouchers. The fact that he used the same word twice goes unnoticed because wildflower and vouchers are incredible words to rhyme. "Been to hell and back, I can show you vouchers." Love that phrase. Is there any way to say it clearer that my life has sucked? I think not. In that first verse, Lil Wayne starts referencing The Game. That says to me he is talking about the fame part of this life. "Money outweighing problems on the triple beam." I had to look up triple beam on Ask.com. It is a scientific device that measures the mass weight of stuff. Marshall Mathers is so smart it is scary. Scary Smart. Money is bigger than the problems. Fame has its drawbacks. He goes on to say, "I'm sticking to the script, you niggas skipping scenes." That says to me that he is trying to play fair or play by the rules and no one else is.

I am just going to summarize on the rest of the first verse. That isn't to say that the phrasing isn't excellent, because it is. I admit that I have no idea what a semi-Cartermatic is. I tried Ask.com and they didn't know either. I am sure that it is a reference to something hip hop and I am ignorant. Everything in the rest of that verse is indicating extreme dislike for people who have tried to control MM's life and career. He's not listening to what they are saying. He's letting them know if you put someone in a cage, you will be letting loose a beast. I apologize. Here is one more phrase because it is so good, "I got this world stuck in the safe, combination is the G-code." Wicked Smart. I had to look up G-code, too. Apparently it is just a computer code that programmers use. Of course, they could use it to lock up a system and they would be the only one who knew how to unlock it. It was a brilliant way of saying that I don't need you. You figured out much too late that you were the ones who needed me, but you lost me, and I am keeping the G-code.

Of course the hook confirms all of this. It's too late to say sorry. You kicked me when I was down so I don't need you and I don't want to see you. You ran me into the ground, but what comes around goes around. I think that is a broad reference to all and sundry who took their shot and kicked Marshall Mathers when he was most vulnerable. When he was lying on the ground needing help and they walked away or kicked him in the teeth. It happened in his youth and his adulthood, and this is his shout out to one and all. He is making it quite clear for any of those people who are still trying to kiss his butt, and get back into his good graces, after they rammed their shoe into his stomach, while he was on the floor, he isn't forgiving and forgetting. There is no love. AND what comes around goes around.

The second verse is Marshall making the announcement that he is fully alive again. I think that he means in his soul. He says that he isn't giving in again. That could be to drugs, because he did that before. However, I think it means to the machine of the record label. He is calling the shots. He said something similar in Not Afraid. He is really going out there because he says that other rappers are calling him a freak and questions why he would want to join them. He then talks about writing raps that are so tight that he will rip up the stage and burn up the mic. I am going to insert this piece of the song:

Cold-hearted from the day I Bogarted the game
I so started to rock fellow
When I'm not even in my harshest
You can still get roasted because Marsh is not mellow
Til I'm toppling from the top I'm not going to stop
I'm standing on my Monopoly board
That means I'm on top of my game and it don't stop
Til my hip don't hop anymore
When you so good that you can't say it
Because it ain't even cool for you to sound cocky anymore

I do think he lost something of himself when he got famous. It cost him his relationship with Kim. If he had been able to hold on to that, I don't think he would say he went cold-hearted. His fame came at a very high price to him personally. As a writer, that is an excellent turn of phrase. He is saying he stole the show in a very clever way. The following one about rock fellow makes me wonder if he isn't actually obscurely referencing Rockefeller but used rock fellow for the sake of his rhyme and the play on words. If so, I again salute you MM. The next two lines make me sad for him on a personal level because I don't like to see someone eaten up with so much anger, but the writing is delicious. "You can still get roasted because Marsh is not mellow."

Of all the games he could have picked, he chose Monopoly. It is the game where you buy up all of the property. In order to win, you have to bankrupt everyone else. There are no ties. He is in the game until he's not. He acknowledges that he has reached that place in his career where it isn't cool to say you're good. Our society is messed up (that is me and not Marshall). We all want to be the best. And then if/when we get there, we can't say so because it sounds bad. Well, that stinks. (Again, that is me.) What was the point of working your butt off if you can't enjoy all of your effort and sacrifice? (Again me.)

He talks about how "they" will never break his stride or take his pride. He also says he is showing no mercy this time. He is going to keep on coming. I don't really know what that means. I don't know how he showed mercy last time. He has always seemed to me to be pretty relentless with his lyrics in the past. In other words, I didn't really see him holding back in the older vids I have watched. So, there is a piece to this puzzle that I don't have. However, there is someone, or maybe lots of someones, who know exactly what that means because it is directed straight at them. If so, I am so glad that I am not them.

If there were any doubt about what motivated this song, this phrase clears it all up for you:

Where was you when I fell and needed help up?


Your eyes are probably glazing over, so I am sorry that I am still typing. However, I haven't said why it was inspirational to me. There are people in my life who haven't been there for me when I really needed them. Some of those people had so much sh*t (not a curse word) going on that they just couldn't do it. It wasn't that they didn't want to be there, but they were already on overload. I totally get that. I know overload. We are well acquainted. Then there are the people who knew I was down and walked away when they could have helped. There are people who knocked me down and did some kicking of their own. There are people who knocked me down when we were kids, we reconnected on places like facebook, and thinking we're grownups now I got over it.... until they knocked me down again. There are people that I thought were friends and weren't. I tend to believe people. They say something and I believe what they say. Why do I do this? Because when I say something I tell the truth. I do not understand the point of lying to someone. It is why I never see the lie coming. [Note: with certain people I always see the lie coming because I have figured out that these people are liars after having been lied to repeatedly.] However, it takes me a long time to figure this crap out.

So, I like this song. I like the edge of the lyrics. There could be less curse words. I think Marshall Mathers is such a good writer that he could write a truly excellent song without them, and make his point. I like what comes around goes around. It actually takes away my need to do anything to the people who hurt me. Life takes care of it for me. My only job is forgiving and letting it go so that it doesn't eat me up. But I don't have to show any love to those people, either. In other words, they don't get second and third chances with me. Thank you Marshall Mathers for that reminder, because I probably would have gone back for seconds and thirds with some of these people. You have saved me from me.


image found at www.weheartit.com

4 comments:

  1. It's often the ones you think would never, ever let you down who actually do it first. I, too, trust when I shouldn't because I behave sincerely; like Horton the Elephant, "I meant what I said and I said what I menat, an elephant's faithful 100%." That others don't act upon this adage, or have differing definitions of "truth," slaps me upside the head every time because it's just so antithetical to how I treat them. My best friend's ex-husband actually once said to her: "I'm not lying, I'm just not telling the truth." There's an entire dissertation in that phrase ....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow Robin, girl you are on fire! To add my 2 cents worth- I have a feeling the semi-Cartermatic word is just a play on Lil Wayne's real name with a gun feel to it & the G-code could be a reference to the 'gangsta' code often referred to in rap music. I so appreciate your true in depth self analysis and things that really mean something to you. I could share some of your thoughts at times, as if you've gotten inside my head. Just these days I'm so focused on letting go of that which I have no control over that I find I am not as in touch with my tougher self. That is a double edged sword...

    ReplyDelete
  3. love this song..hadn't heard it. way to dissect it though. It's often the most intelligent people that have the most issues. we can't go with the flow, because the flow is usually shallow and full of crap.
    I never expected anyone to help me or be there. That helped me because I was rarely disappointed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Robin. I'm doing the OVer 40 FF Blog Hop. Tag :) Enjoyed your musical blog! I'm a writer too, editing my 2nd novel, writing my 3rd novel and trying to find an agent for the first one. And it's craaaaazy. Nice to meet you.

    ReplyDelete

You can now add YouTube videos in your comments by copy/pasting the link. AND/OR you can insert an image by surrounding the code with this: [im]code[/im]. In the case of images, make sure that your code is short and simple ending with something like .jpg. If you want to use a pic from someplace like Google Images, click on the image, then click on View Image. That is the code you want!

Dazzle Me!